Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake – the creamy, cheesy flavors of spinach and artichoke dip are combined with nutty quinoa in this delicious baked quinoa dish.
I love quinoa, it is packed full of protein and fiber, and has a wonderful nutty flavor. I’ve shared many of my favorite quinoa recipes here including Asian Quinoa Salad, Curried Quinoa and Chickpea Salad with Carrots, Apples & Raisins and Greek Quinoa Salad.
Today, I have a new, baked quinoa recipe to share, this creamy and delicious Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake.
Flavors of Spinach and Artichoke Dip
I love spinach and artichoke dip and wanted to incorporate the flavors of the dip into a dish that could be served as a main course or side dish. I thought the nutty flavor of quinoa would be a nice pairing to the flavors of the dip and they do indeed go so well together in this delicious Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake.
This Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake is easy to make. First, cook the quinoa according to package directions. While the quinoa is cooking, sauté onions and garlic in a large pot and add in fresh baby spinach, stirring to cook down, and chopped artichoke hearts. Then make a creamy cheese sauce; in a sauce pan, whisk together butter and flour, then whisk in milk, cream cheese, and a shredded blend of Italian cheeses.
Add the cooked quinoa to the large pot with the spinach and artichoke mixture. Pour the cheese sauce into the large pot and add in some more of the shredded blend of Italian cheeses. Stir the mixture to combine, then transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle some more of the shredded cheese on top. Bake in the oven until heated through and the top begins to turn a golden brown.
This, creamy, cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake is wonderful on it’s own, I served it for dinner, and enjoyed the leftovers for lunch.
This delicious quinoa bake would also be a great side dish to a variety of entrees or to take to a barbeque or potluck.
Do you have a favorite quinoa recipe? Please let me know in the comments below!
Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake
Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake - the creamy, cheesy flavors of spinach and artichoke dip are combined with nutty quinoa in this delicious baked quinoa dish.
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 11 oz fresh baby spinach (about 7 cups)
- 1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups 1% milk
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded Italian style cheese blend (I use a blend of mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, romano, fontina and asiago), divided 3 ways
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. When finished cooking, fluff with a fork, remove from heat and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach to pot, stirring until cooked down, about 3 minutes. Stir in the artichoke hearts.
- Remove pot from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until a paste forms.
- Pour milk into sauce pan, whisking continuously, increase heat and bring to a boil. Stir in cream cheese and 1 ½ cups shredded cheese. Whisk until smooth and blended.
- Remove sauce pan from heat and season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer cooked quinoa and cheese sauce to pot containing the spinach and artichoke mixture. Add ½ cup shredded cheese and stir mixture to combine.
- Transfer mixture in pot to prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup shredded cheese evenly over top of casserole.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the top begins to turn a little golden brown.
copyright 2016 | joylovefood.com