Jump to recipe
Dutch Sausage Rolls (Saucijzenbroodjes) – spiced meat rolled in puff pastry, a delicious appetizer or snack, perfect for the holiday season or anytime.
One of my favorites Dutch treats are sausage rolls or Saucijzenbroodjes as they are called in Dutch. They are readily available in bakeries in The Netherlands, but not here in the United States. Luckily they are easy to make at home.
Despite the name, Dutch Sausage Rolls do not contain sausage. Rather they are made with a seasoned ground beef mixture, similar to what is used to make meatballs. The mixture is shaped into logs that resemble sausages, and rolled in puff pastry.
There are many recipes for Dutch Sausage Rolls. This recipe is from my Dutch husband who was born and raised in Holland, and it is our family’s favorite.
We love to have these sausage rolls as a snack, eaten cuddled up on the couch watching movies. They are also a great appetizer or finger food for parties.
Leftovers, if there are any, keep well in the refrigerator and reheat nicely in the toaster oven, perfect for an easy lunch.
Dutch Sausage Rolls (Saucijzenbroodjes)
Dutch Sausage Rolls (Saucijzenbroodje) – spiced meat rolled in puff pastry, a delicious appetizer or snack, perfect for the holiday season or anytime.
I use Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets. A 17.3 oz (1.1 lb) box contains 2 sheets. You will need 2 (17.3 oz) boxes to make this entire recipe (32 rolls).
I sometimes use 2 sheets of pastry to create 16 sausage rolls and then use the remaining half of the beef mixture for meatballs (pan fry in butter until brown and then cook for approximately 20 minutes).
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches nutmeg (~1/8 teaspoon)
- freshly ground pepper to taste (~1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unfold puff pastry sheets. Lengthwise, cut each rectangular sheet in half to create 8 separate sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, using your hands, quickly and gently combine first 8 ingredients. Divide into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each of the 8 portions of beef into the shape of a sausage while placing in the middle of a puff pastry sheet (across the length of each sheet). Fold each pastry sheet around its meat “sausage” and, using wet fingers, pinch the top and bottom edges together, enclosing the sausage. Cut each into 4 equal sized rolls to create a total of 32 sausage rolls.
- Beat egg yolk with water and brush egg mixture over the rolls.
- Place the sausage rolls onto parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Place baking sheet in middle of preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve warm. Sausage rolls can be refrigerated for up to 4 days and reheated in an oven or toaster oven (microwaving will soften the pastry).
© 2023 copyright 2016 | joylovefood.com