It’s officially fall, and to me nothing says, and smells like, fall more than freshly baked pumpkin bread, or in this case mini muffins, filling your house with the wonderfully warm scents of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
This is my favorite pumpkin bread recipe, I just love all the spices in it. The recipe is originally from Bon Appétit, and I’ve been making it for years.
I usually use this recipe to make a couple of loaves of pumpkin bread, but this time decided to go the mini muffin route, as I was hosting my 2 year old girls’ playgroup, and I thought mini muffins would be fun for the little ones. There really is nothing cuter than a 2 year old eating a mini muffin!
All of my kids love these Spiced Pumpkin Mini Muffins, they are wonderful for breakfast or as a snack any time of day. I pack them in my son’s lunch or for his snack at school.
Sometimes I’ll swap out half of the vegetable oil in this recipe (or in any muffin or quick bread recipe) and replace it with unsweetened apple sauce. You can’t tell the difference and it cuts down on the fat content.
You can also use this recipe to make two loaves of pumpkin bread or six mini loaves instead of the mini muffins, you’ll just need to increase the baking time accordingly.
This bread, whether in muffin or loaf format, freezes well wrapped in foil, so you can have some to eat and some to freeze for later enjoyment.
Adapted from epicurious.com.
Spiced Pumpkin Mini Muffins
The warm wonderful scents of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg fill the air while these Spiced Pumpkin Mini Muffins are baking away in the oven.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (15 oz) can solid pack pumpkin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or place muffin liners in two 24 cup mini-muffin tins (or if you have just one, you can bake in batches)
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugar and vegetable oil to blend.
- Add in eggs and pumpkin and mix to combine.
- In another large bowl, sift together (I use a whisk) flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture in 2 or 3 additions until just combined.
- Spoon batter into mini muffin tins, filling nearly to the top of each cup. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool muffin tins on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tins, place on racks and cool completely.
You can also use this recipe to make two (2) 9 inch x 5 inch loaves or six (6) 5 ¾ inch x 3 inch mini loaves of Spiced Pumpkin Bread.
For two (2) 9 inch x 5 inch loaves increase the baking time to about 50 minutes – 1 hour or until a tester inserted into the middle of a loaf comes out clean.
For six (6) 5 ¾ inch x 3 inch mini loaves increase the baking time to about 35-40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of a loaf comes out clean.
copyright 2016 | joylovefood.com